Protecting You and Your Loved Ones

Elder Law Articles

Getting Your Affairs In Order

Getting Your Affairs In Order

If we had a crystal ball and could see into the future, we would not need to plan ahead for end of life decisions. We have seen many clients through the years where a spouse had a sudden stroke making it impossible to communicate with the family. Neither the spouse nor children knew anything about the financial or medical information. Besides having to locate important documents, the family is then left to make their own decisions about long term care and may have difficulty dealing with medical personnel or financial institutions.

It is wise to put your important papers and your legal documents in one place. You could set up a file, put everything in a desk or dresser drawer, or just list the information and location of papers in a notebook. If your papers are in a bank safe deposit box, keep copies in a file at home and make sure some other family member has access to the box. Tell a trusted family member or friend where you put all your important papers. You don’t need to tell them about your personal affairs, but someone should know where you keep your papers in case of emergency.

Preparing Advance Directives or Living Will

Advance directives are legal documents that state the kind of medical care or end of life decisions you want made in your behalf. It is a way for you to communicate your wishes to family or health care professionals. It is advisable to discuss this with family members while you are healthy. It’s too late if you suddenly become incapacitated.

The Living Will gives your consent or refusal for sustained medical treatment when you are not able to give it yourself. Very often, healthy people often tell me they “Don’t want anything done”. My response is to explain the difference between a Living Will (You get medical care and procedures until it is apparent you will never regain consciousness) and a Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) order. A DNR is appropriate for someone who has very little quality of life, has been through countless medical procedures, and simply wants to die without prolonging the inevitable due to extraordinary measures. In that case, the medical people will not give treatment if there is a medical crisis. The Living Will, on the other hand, won’t prevent you from getting all the care medical people can give, until it is apparent that the efforts will not result in recovery, and at that time, the medical people will follow your wishes as stated in your Living Will and expressed by your Health Care Representative. Review your directives periodically. They do not expire, but your wishes may change. Be sure your family member or healthcare proxy has a current copy.

Choosing the type of Power of Attorney

General Power of Attorney – authorizes someone to handle your financial, banking and possibly real estate and government benefits as long as you remain competent.

Special Power of Attorney – authorizes someone you designate to handle certain things you cannot do yourself for a period of time, such as doing banking if you are out of the country.

Durable Power of Attorney – the general, special and health care powers of attorney can all be made “durable” by adding certain language to the document. This means that the document will remain in effect if you become mentally incompetent.

Many people do not know the difference between a general and a durable power of attorney. A general power of attorney is a document by which you appoint a person to act as your agent. Agents are authorized to make decisions for you, sign legal documents, etc. Many people are unaware that a General Power of Attorney is revoked when the person granting that power becomes incompetent or incapacitated. It is the “Durable” Power of Attorney that allows an agent to continue making decisions on your behalf no matter what happens to you. In many cases it may be the most important document you can have.

It is vital to have a power of attorney that can handle all eventualities you might face. For example, in Connecticut, unless you have special language in your power of attorney, and you become incapable, your spouse may not be able to transfer the house to herself in order to protect it.

As always the prudent course of action is to seek competent counsel in preparing these most vital documents.

Attorneys Stephen O. Allaire (Of Counsel) and Halley C. Allaire are partners in the law firm of Allaire Elder Law.
Attorneys Stephen O. Allaire (Of Counsel) and Halley C. Allaire are members of the National Academy of Elder Law. Attorneys, Inc.
Allaire Elder Law is a highly respected, and highly rated law firm with offices in Bristol, CT.
We can be contacted by phone at (860) 259-1500 or by email.

If you have a question, send a written note to us and we may use your question in a future column.




Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest
legal news on Elder Law in Connecticut.
Allaire Elder Law


PH:  (860) 259-1500
Fax: (860) 259-1502

logo-blue Getting Your Affairs In Order - Allaire Elder Law

elder-law-guide-button Getting Your Affairs In Order - Allaire Elder Law

New Speaking Engagement!